Also known as PU according to AbbreviationFinder.org, the University of Princeton is located in the city of Princeton (state of New Jersey). It was founded as the College of New Jersey in 1746, and was originally located in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The university was moved to Princeton in 1756, keeping the original name. The name was officially changed to Princeton University in 1896. It was originally a Presbyterian institution, currently secular.
The university was founded by the Presbyterians with the name of University of New Jersey, later it was called Princeton University, used in 1746 in order to train ministers dedicated to their views. It was the capital of religious education for the Scots and Irish of America. In 1756, the university moved to Princeton, New Jersey for Nassau Hall, named after the royal home of William III of England.
John Witherspoon became president in 1768 and remained in that position until his death in 1794. During his presidency, Witherspoon shifted the focus from training the college of ministers to preparing a new generation of leadership in the new American nation. To this end, he tightened the academic standards and the investments requested in the school. During his presidency there was a period of stability at the university, which was interrupted by the American Revolution during which the Battle of Princeton took place.
In 1896, the college officially changed its name from the University of New Jersey to Princeton University in honor of the city in which it resides. During this year, the university also underwent the great expansion and officially became a university. In 1969, Princeton University first admitted women as students.
Land and buildings
The main land is on about 500 acres (2.0 square km). The James Forrestal lot is divided between the Plainsboro and South Brunswick fences. The University also owns some property in West Windsor Township. Which is one hour from New York City and Philadelphia.
The first building was Nassau Hall, completed in 1756, and located at the north end of Nassau Street. The university expanded steadily around Nassau Hall during the 1800s and a half. The McCosh presidency (1868-1888) carried out the construction of several buildings in the High Gothic Victorian and Revival Romanesque styles; many of them have disappeared, leaving some who seem out of place. At the end of the 19th century Princeton adopted the collegiate Gothic style for which it is known today. Initially implemented by William Appleton Potter and later executed by the university’s supervising architect, Ralph Adams Cram, the collegiate Gothic style remained the standard for all new buildings until 1960. A wave of construction in the 1960s produced a series of new buildings on the south side of the main area, many of which have been very well received. A group of 20 sculptures are scattered throughout the university. Some architects have contributed their works including: Frank Gehry (Lewis Library), IM Pei (Spelman Salas), Porfirio Demetri (Whitman College, a collegiate Gothic project), [[Robert Venturi (Frist Campus Center, among many others), and Rafael Viñol and (Carl Icahn from laboratory).
The university has a man-made lake called Lake Carnegie, named for Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie funded the construction of the lake in 1906 at the urging of a friend who was a former Princeton student. Carnegie looked forward to the opportunity to take up the rowing to inspire Princeton students to quit soccer. The Shea Rowing Center on the lakeside continues to be Princeton’s rowing headquarters.
This theater was built by the Princeton Triangle Club, a student performance group, using the club’s profits and a Princeton University gift from alumnus McCarter Thomas. Today, the Club hosts its annual Spring Musicals and Freshmen Magazine at McCarter. The McCarter Theater is also recognized as one of the premier regional theaters in the United States.
The Museum was established in 1882 to give students direct, intimate, and sustained access to original works of art that complement and enrich teaching and research at the university. This continues to be a primary function, along with serving as a community resource and destination for national and international visitors.
The museum has a collection of Chinese art, with important holdings in bronze, tomb figures, painting, and calligraphy. Its collection of pre-Columbian art includes examples of Mayan art, and is commonly considered the most important collection of pre-Columbian art outside of Latin America. The museum has collections of old master prints and drawings and an extensive collection of more than 27,000 original photographs. African art and art from the Northwest Indian coast are also represented.
Construction of the Princeton University Chapel began in 1924 and was completed in 1927 at a cost of $ 2.4 million. It was designed by the university’s chief consulting architect, Ralph Adams Cram. The vault was built by the Guastavino Company, whose fine tiled vaults can be found on Ellis Island, Grand Central Terminal, and hundreds of other significant works of 20th century architecture.
One of the most prominent features of the chapel is its stained glass windows, which have an unusual academic slant. Three of the large windows have religious themes: The north aisle windows shows the life of Jesus, the north clerestory shows the spiritual development of the Jews, and the south aisle shows the teachings of Jesus. The stained glass windows in the southern skylight represent the evolution of human thought from the Greeks to modern times. It has windows on topics such as science, law, poetry, and war.
The Princeton Tigers is the sports team of Princeton University. Tigers teams participate in college competitions organized by the NCAA, and are part of the Ivy League. Participate in 37 sports specialties, male and female
- Swimming and jumping
- Ice Hockey
- Water polo
- Swimming and jumping
- Grass hockey
- Ice Hockey
- Water polo
Lacrosse is the sport that has given the most titles to Princeton University. Throughout their history they have won the NCAA Championship 6 times, the last one in 2001, also winning the Ivy League title 13 times. After 15 consecutive years entering the final phase of the university tournament, this streak was cut short in 2005.
The first basketball game in its history was played on January 26, 1901 against New Jersey State. He has won the Ivy League tournament in total 22 times, and was a NIT champion in 1975. They have been known for being giant killers since defeating then-reigning NCAA champion UCLA in the late 1970s. In 1925, before the modern system of competition was established, they were considered the national champions. 9 Tigers players have reached the NBA, among them Bill Bradley, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.
In this university is the Program in Latin American Studies (PLAS).